About Me

My photo
Friendly, cheerful, outgoing, etc. are some commonly used adjectives for me. A marketer by profession, my latest and rapidly growing interest is in Digital Media. I love to play guitar and(to the dismay of people around)like to sing along a bit :p

Monday, October 17, 2011

Year 2011: Work, Thailand, Guitar & Singing an Anthem!!!!!

Hello Homo-Sapiens

Disclaimer: It is going to be a long long post owing to the long long break I took in between. Kindly adjust with me guys. If you can't adjust.....I'll request you again to please adjust :)

Been a while since my crazy thoughts condensed into something readable. Was busy with the usual stuff in life; family, my six strings, friends, job, and ironically most important of all.....trivia.

Was just wondering, one noticeable change since we all started working is that now last day of the year for us is 31st March in stead of 31st December. So from now on we should celebrate 1st April as a "New Year's Day". This brings us to the conclusion that the first day of the year now for us is an "April Fool's Day". What a pity!!!!!

The year had a positive beginning to it, with the very first few days bringing in the news that my company has well exceeded its targets and as a result we would be going to Thailand for a Sales Conference. I must admit, I SERIOUSLY LOVE such sales conferences. I am absolutely ready for such conferences even if these are held on a quarterly basis. No issues at all from my end!!!!!

Anyhow, before we could set forth for Amazing Thailand, there was a big hurdle on the way.....My Yearly Appraisal. Its that time of the year when bosses can take out all their inner desires of revenge, enmity, frustration in the form of an objective questionnaire. All you can do is pray to God and look as innocent as a little school girl. Luckily for me, my boss didn't prove to be the evil Voldemort trying to cast his evil spells on the innocent Potter riding his broom towards an increment and an yearly bonus and finally out of this financial year.

Meanwhile, I started taking guitar classes once again. This time with a stronger will and resolution of not discontinuing the learning process. Over the years, I've felt a longing for learning this wonderful instrument. As the time passed by, this longing grew even stronger. Finally I took it up in MBA days but had to discontinue for some time due to my job. Now that I've started, its always a constant endeavor to squeeze in time for practice no matter where I am or what I am doing. In fact, to let you in on a secret.....there are days when I am away and don't have access to my guitars. I simply walk up to a music shop(as a potential customer) and satiate my urge of playing. I know that sounds a bit cheezy and outlandish, but what can i do, can't control it(you can imagine me saying it in the same tone as the one in old and famous PEPSI Adverts....."Kya karein control nahi hota").
Although, I have recently stopped taking classes from my music teacher, but this time I have started Self-Teaching myself for this passion. Hope to keep it going for this lifetime now.

Ok, enough of the aspirationally serious stuff. What happened in Thailand??? :P

Thailand is an amazing place. The first thing you notice is the humongous airport(Suvarnabhumi) in Bangkok. The shopping area alone in the airport is bigger than any of the shopping malls I've come across in India. From there we went on a 1.5 hours bus journey to Pattaya, the venue for our sales conference. Pattaya is a beautifullllllllll place(i hope you can understand how beautiful i found it owing to the number of "ls" in "beautiful"). People are very courteous towards tourists(after all thats where a chunk of their revenue comes from). There is street food all around the streets(dissected crocodiles, octopuses, ducks, prawns, beef, dragons, dinosaurs, anacondas and God knows what else.....). It is a non-vegetarian's paradise.
A very intriguing fact about the vehicular traffic is that people don't honk no matter what. As a pedestrian, you just need to step down on the road and the traffic stops. You can then take a King's Stroll across the road :P. Also, wear a white shirt and it does not go black by the evening no matter for how much time you were out on the streets. Pretty much unlike our beloved country where even a black shirt needs to be washed once you step out.
Now the most amazing part of all.....Nightlife. People in Thailand go crazyyyyyyy. They sing, dance, eat, drink, get laid(as if you don't know this.....a majority of people go to Thailand with this in mind). The Walking Street in Pattaya is a major tourist attraction during the night. At street side makeshift shops alongside the beach, you can find virtually anything you desire. There are concerts happening and people singing and dancing to the tunes of their favorite songs.

I would act as an endorser for Thailand and say this: If you want to enjoy at a beautiful and serene place with a wonderful nightlife, Pattaya is the place to be.....

Finally we bid good bye to Pattaya and Thailand after a 3 day halt. About to start, was another Financial Year and vicious circle of work, boss's attitude, employee politics, targets and all such similar stuff.

Recently, we were given an opportunity to do something creative at work. We were asked to develop and sing an anthem for Godfrey Phillips Bravery Awards. This was the kind of an opportunity I've always looked forward to. After all, its places and events like these that make your creativity reach newer heights and that too in the context of music. I was super excited from the very day i learned about this event.
After a couple of months we were called at JW Mariott for a one day workshop with professional musicians. Here, we would be selecting a theme, write lyrics and finally sing the song. This song would then be composed by musicians and handed over to us after polishing. The whole process went smoothly and I ended up singing 2 stanzas in the song. It was certainly a dream come true. Thank You God :)

With all that said and done, its time that I free your mind from the shackles of this post and let you do something productive in this life. I hope to write more often from now on. Lets see how well can I fulfill this hope.

Till the next time. Take care guys. You've always been an amazing and quiet audience. Keep Smiling :)



Cheers

Gags ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment