About Me

My photo
Friendly, cheerful, outgoing, etc. are some commonly used adjectives for me. A marketer by profession, my latest and rapidly growing interest is in Digital Media. I love to play guitar and(to the dismay of people around)like to sing along a bit :p

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My First Pay-cheque

Greetings everybody!!!!!

Its been a long long time since I wrote something. My apologies for this procrastination. So meanwhile, a number of events took place since I last updated my blog: I became an MBA from a "pursuing MBA", winters became summers, my college shifted to an old building, the earth rotated 128 times(woah!), India crashed out of the T-20 world cup(cricket should always be there in any discussion, debate.....after all its a religion in India!!!!!......am i right cricket lovers???), I got placed and got my first ever pay-cheque. :P


MBA got over with the satisfaction that I managed to pull off some tasks I've been looking forward towards. Managed a scholarship for performing well in studies, started learning guitar(I've been wanting to do this since a long time), bought a new guitar for myself, and could perform on the stage(my usual punjabi rap) on the day of MBA farewell.

On the very last day of MBA, after the last exam got over(so no more peeking-->cheating-->whispering-->scolding-->avoiding-->peeking-->cheating-->whispering from now on) we celebrated scribble day. On this day we wrote(some deliberately, some forcibly) on each others' t-shirts what we thought(something good.....obviously) about them. Scribble Day was not only important from a "passing out" student's point of view but also as an economic point of view when around 300 students bought white t-shirts and markers to write on these t-shirts. Lets get more deep into this:

- Number of T-shirts bought: 300 (minimum, considering the fact that some also bought 2 t-shirts)
- Average cost of a plain white t-shirt: Rs. 100
- Average amount one person spent on a pen: Rs. 15

Amount spent on T-shirt: Rs. 30000
Amount Spent on pens: Rs. 4500

Total Amount spent = Rs. 35000 (approx.)

So that puts an end to our financial analysis(something to be noted here: I was awesomely terrible in finance during MBA days; I guess this inferiority complex, to some extent, made me perform this analysis...hehe :D). I won't be giving a speech on how many people could have been fed with that money. The need of the hour at that time was to cherish the time we had with our peers.....and we did so.


Life has taken a 90 degree turn since (our beloved)student life ended and professional life kick started. Student life had its own glamour, and so has this professional life.

With the advent of this new phase an altogether new persona has appeared over the usual gregarious college going student. Numbers did matter back then; numbers do matter now as well. We ran after numbers back then; we do so now. We were praised by our teachers on scoring good marks; we are praised by our bosses on achieving good numbers. Numbers have become increasingly important since we first met them in kindergarten.

Quite satisfying was the feeling of independence that I got after having the first look at my visiting card. There was a name and a designation mentioned on it. Nowhere was this feeling of being dependent on anyone. Wherever I go now, people know me by my name, by who I am, by what I am. A sense of responsibility has started setting in. I am the sole person responsible and answerable for my actions.

So, now there is a need to start doing some budget planning(OMG, finance again.....its all over my mind and life :O) about my first salary. The time has arrived to fulfil all my "boys toys" and gadget needs(a DSLR, a good smartphone, an ipod.....and many more.....yippeee!!!!!)

I hope I've not scared anyone with these (somewhat) serious talks. The usual weirdish_humourish_normalish talks would continue to tickle and make you giggle in my future posts.

Till the next time.


Signing Off

Gags (Now Employed) ;)

5 comments:

  1. mubarak ho munna....first pay cheque to mata ji pita ji & rab ji, second vich mitra di party....up for it ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. niceee...:):)...party sharty toh doh...:P:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ! Yet another masterpiece by you ! Although, it had a professional-no-more-a-student feel to it which is obviously good news, but was a first...so took some time getting used to! May you continue writing your heart out always ! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on d first pay cheque.. we r proud of u bro.. and well writtn!! keep up d good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. old but good, I remember reading it earlier but didn't comment :)

    ReplyDelete